Rockstar came up with a solution for the Grand Theft Auto Online roleplay servers. GTA released a new policy on November 18 to give clarity on stuff that is related legally. But somehow this announcement resulted in a squashing of sales on NFTs within a game. Rockstar stated that “reasonable fan creativity” is encouraged and that it hopes roleplay servers will continue to “thrive in a safe and friendly way” for many years to come.
In this new policy, Rockstar prohibits using digital currencies or virtual assets like NFTs to create content like stories, games, and missions that generate revenue from sponsorships. Based on the new policy, Rockstar banned vital elements from its games.
Meanwhile, Rockstar Games recently banned famous rapper Lil Durk’s server “Trenches” due to the selling of in-game items like houses and vehicles via its website. It obtained these items by selling digitally related items such as cryptocurrency.
The Legal Actions Primarily Focused On
- Misuse of Rockstar Games trademarks or game intellectual property (IP)
- Importation or misuse of other IP in the project, including characters, trademarks, or music
- Commercial exploitation
- Making new games, stories, and missions
- Interfering with official multiplayer or online services, including Grand Theft Auto Online and Red Dead Online
Current Single Player Mod Policy
They have agreed to not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar’s PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties.
These do not apply to
- Multiplayer or online services
- Tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services
- Use or importation of other IP in the project
- Making new games, stories, missions, or maps.
NFT is continuously gaining popularity among crypto users. Recently, Meta honored the LGBT community by announcing new NFT collections that are dedicated to the LGBT pride celebration in Taiwan. Recently, in an event called “Digi Takoshein in the summer of 2022,” the Japanese Secretariat awarded the nine mayors in Japan with non-fungible tokens (NFTs). The NFTs used in the award ceremony are based on the Ethereum blockchain platform, Proof of Attendance Protocol (POAP) technology.
Currently, the top 5 NFT trending platforms are:
- Vee Friends
- Axie Infinity